[coreboot] [superiotool] patch for smsc mec1308

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Feb 17 02:43:22 CET 2011

Auf 17.02.2011 02:38, David Hendricks schrieb:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <
> c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:
>

>> Auf 17.02.2011 01:11, David Hendricks schrieb:
>>
>>> Attached is a patch to add support for the SMSC MEC1308 embedded
>>>
>> controller.
>>
>>> Unfortunately, the device ID it conflicts with another SMSC Super IO
>>>
>> chip,
>>
>>> the FDC37M81x. However, since superiotool does not really support the
>>> FDC37M81x in any really useful capacity, I think it's fair to just
>>>
>> disable
>>
>>> it for now.
>>>

>> Unless I'm mistaken, this patch brings the MEC1308 to the level of
>> support the FDC37M81x had before your patch. I was just looking at the
>> line count per chip, so maybe there is some key information I'm missing.
>> Could you please enlighten me what "not really supported" means in this
>> context? Thanks!
>>

> Huh, odd... I actually wrote the patch over a year ago, and was probably
> using the obsolete branch (before it got put back into
> coreboot/util).

Ah, that explains it.

> Clearly the FDC37M81x has support now. Should we just leave
> both of them enabled?

That, or maybe we can use some ID/revision field (or something
documented to be zero on one chip and documented to be 1 on the other
chip) to differentiate between them?

> (apologies for the hasty commit, i had an immediate use case)

No problem, I was just surprised by the reasoning. You did explain it,
and the good thing is that you can test any further differentiators for
the code.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--