[coreboot] Help for motherboard

Alex G. mr.nuke.me at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 15:17:29 CET 2011

On 02/19/2011 01:39 PM, sh4r4d at gmail.com wrote:
> But I did not found here new Intel and AMD cpu for motherboards in
> Desktop/Workstation section (except Laptop)
> mentioned for e.g.
>   Intel Core 7i
>   Intel Core 3i

Won't happen because Intel won't tell us how to initialize that
hardware. So just stay away.

> and similar AMD's latest.

Support for AMD Fam 14h just got added a few days ago. There are only
two AMD boards that are currently supported. It's a very new product, so
we don't have the boards (yet?).

> So finally I like to know do these newer CPU's any motherboard going
> to be supported in near future, So I will purchase that motherboard.

Your board will be supported if you do the port yourself, or are lucky
enough to have the same board as someone who has already ported (is
doing the port).

I'm working on the VIA VX900, so you could expect that to be supported
in a couple of months (or earlier, depending on how difficult the
chipset is).

> I want to find it out as it will be difficult to change hardware than
> software later. Please suggest which CPU/motherboard combination is
> good with coreboot.

What do you want to do with your computer?
For HTPC, VIA Nano is pretty good.
For regular desktop, we have a few good AM3 boards supported.
For workstation/server, you can get your hands dirty, get a
single/dual-socket G34 board, and start porting. We have most
infrastructure code for that, so it shouldn't be too hard. :)

And someone wiser may give you a more complete answer.

Alex