[coreboot] Here is my new board. Can coreboot be implemented on it?

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu Jan 13 15:15:01 CET 2011

Kfir Lavi wrote:
> > > 00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub [8086:2a40] (rev 07)
..
> > The chipset is not supported at all and requires new support to be
> > written.
> >
> > I would, again, recommend looking at hardware which is already
> > supported.
>
> Thanks Peter for your prompt response.

You're welcome.

> So I understand that copy and paste from existing code will not
> help here?

Correct. You need the documentation and quite possibly also some
reverse engineering to create a working firmware. You can also
reverse engineer away the need for documentation, but that always
takes (much) longer.

Of course you can try to simply run some existing code, but it's a
little like compiling code for the wrong ISA. The registers are not
the same, so the existing init code does not make sense on another
hardware. Sometimes if the components happen to be similar you may
have limited success, but it is difficult to measure success until
e.g. a serial port or USB debug communications channel is working..

//Peter