[coreboot] Coreboot on AMD Geode; No VGA

Andrew Bolster me at andrewbolster.info
Wed Jul 13 14:50:09 CEST 2011

On 12 July 2011 18:44, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:

> Andrew Bolster wrote:
> > Can anyone point me in the direction of how to set up coreboot +
> > seabios so that it actually uses the VGA?
>
> Are you sure there actually is VGA? For the Geode SC series it was
> neccessary to have a VSM that would emulate a fair bit of the legacy
> VGA. I think LX has some hardware support, but not the full monty. If
> you already have the correct VSM in your VSA blob then "all" you need
> is to extract the VGA BIOS from the original BIOS, and add that into
> coreboot.rom as pcixxxx,yyyy.rom where xxxx,yyyy is the graphics PCI
> id.

> I've tried the rational combinations of enabling and disabling the option
> > roms,
>
> Note that coreboot should not be initializing option ROMs, instead
> SeaBIOS should be used for that. So disable option ROMs in coreboot
> config.

> but I assume that I need a vgabios.bin?
>
> Yes. Try the bios_extract tool to grab the VGA BIOS out of the
> factory BIOS image.

Well I'm using the gpl_vsa_lx_102.bin from MJones, turned off VGA option
roms, Seabios Stable as the payload, and an extracted bios using the script
from the wiki.[
http://www.coreboot.org/VGA_support#Extracting_from_the_system_.28if_everything_else_fails.29
]

There is a very old thread pertaining to this that I had a look through but
couldn't really explain any of the problems (or why no fixes have been
pushed up). [
http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2008-October/039657.html]

I admit that I don't understand alot of the details of the boot diagnostics,
but if anyone cares to have a look, heres the bootlog for what happens with
the above setup. http://pastebin.com/jNtuEyV7

Thanks for your quick responses.