[coreboot] Asus E35M1-M PRO Fusion AMD E-350 APU

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Jul 24 12:26:43 CEST 2011

Dear Florian,

Am Samstag, den 23.07.2011, 18:56 +0200 schrieb Florian Zumbiehl:

> > I'm currently eyeing the ASUS E35M1-M PRO Fusion AMD E-350 APU
> > (1.6GHz, Dual-Core) AMD Hudson M1 Micro AT over at newegg and was
> > wondering if any coreboot compatibility is known.
> >
> > I saw in the supported motherboards section that the asrock (the
> > budget section of asus?) does have a E350 based board that is
> > supported, so hopes are good for now :)
>
> I am kindof working on it,

it is great to hear that.

> but so far memory initialization fails most
> of the time (as in: I had two or three boots that reached the payload
> so far). The (apparently) same failure has been observed with the ASRock
> board as well:
> http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2011-July/065795.html
>
> As such, I am actually currently not really working on it, but rather
> waiting for Frank Vibrans to have a closer look at the AGESA debug output
> the board generates before it stops.

I did not see any message on this list regarding your problem. Could you
open a new thread so that people searching the Web know what the current
state is and maybe somebody else reading the list has an idea.

> > Recently amd announced they'd support all future CPU's starting with
> > .. I forgot, but how well is this setup to be supported in, say a
> > year from now?
> >
> > I'm experienced with linux, and not scared of flashing, compiling
> > and testing. I (will soon) have jtag and other flashing capabilities
> > using bus-pirate and bus-blaster boards. I don't know if this board
> > has dual bios or swapable bios, as the only swapable chip is a
> > little 8 leggeded chip (doubt that's the 32MB flash). The current
>
> It's 32 Mb/4 MB, but that's the BIOS flash, indeed.
>
> > bios is UEFI based though.
>
> ... and horribly broken, yes.

Can you elaborate in what regard please to give us some arguments when
talking about coreboot.

> > Any thoughts/idea's?
>
> Well, I can provide you with what's necessary to get the serial port going,
> but currently there isn't much to do unless you are familiar with
> AMD CPU and chipset initialization, I guess.

If you have the means to publish your current state as a Git repository
somewhere that would be appreciated I guess.

Additionally I do not know what the best way is to send patches to
support a new board. One huge patch which gets the board going right
away or several small patches like serial port, memory initialization, …
and the last one being adding it to the Konfig system.

Thanks,

Paul