[coreboot] Questions about coreboot on X86

Patrick Georgi patrick at georgi-clan.de
Tue Jun 14 17:57:07 CEST 2011

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 22:44:20 +0800, Hamo wrote:
> 2. What's the propose of romstage? Some init in romstage has been
> done
> in bootblock, and why those init are done twice?
Historical reasons.

First, coreboot had two parts: bootblock/romstage (which was a single
entity) and ramstage.
The romstage did raminit and generally set things up so the ramstage
could work.
As only the top 64kb of flash are guaranteed to be mapped into memory
space, it was also responsible for mapping the entire flash.

Then came AMD K8.

Its memory init was more complicated (with all the HyperTransport
setup) and thus exceeded the 64kb the romstage lived in, so things were
split up.
At some point we moved things around so there's a tiny bootblock (doing
only flash mapping and maybe deciding which romstage to load), and the
romstage doing raminit until the ramstage can be loaded as usual.

Many boards are converted to that new style. As it requires chipset
modifications (essentially splitting out the flash mapping code), some
boards were not.
At some point I hope we'll have all boards follow the new style.

It might not be necessary for ARM, but I'd propose you also stick to
the general layout:
- bootblock does flash mapping (if necessary) and decides which
romstage to load
- romstage does raminit
- ramstage does businit
- payload does whatever is necessary next.

Patrick