[coreboot] coreboot support: difference between ASRock E350M1 and ASRock E350M1/USB3

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jun 18 15:28:41 CEST 2011

Dear Marshall,

Am Donnerstag, den 16.06.2011, 17:58 -0500 schrieb Marshall Buschman:
> I own both boards - both do work, BUT there are still bugs:
> USB3 and built-in NIC do not work on either by default.
> Memory is only reported as roughly 512mb at this point.

thank you for the status report.

> You're welcome to help. :)

I know and I would like to help. Unfortunately that would be limited to
testing once I decide to buy the board.

> As far as your other question... I'm not sure what you mean...
> USB3 is a physically different connector, with a different pinout
> entirely, although it does retain backward compatibility with USB2. See
> http://www.addonics.com/emerging_technologies/usb3_tutorial.asp

I am sorry, let me rephrase my question. The boards have almost the same
model number so are probably very similar. So I am wondering how the one
model can support USB3.

> If you're referring to the bios chips themselves, they're DIP8s -- both
> the USB3 and the regular E350M1 use the same kind of chip, but the
> BIOSes themselves do differ.

That is interesting and strange (for me).

> Hopefully this helps.

Yes, thank you very much for your answers.

Thanks,

Paul