[coreboot] [ANN] New code repository and development workflow

Arne Georg Gleditsch arne.gleditsch at numascale.com
Thu Jun 23 14:48:12 CEST 2011

Patrick Georgi <patrick at georgi-clan.de> writes:
> Dear coreboot developers, stakeholders, and enthusiasts,
>
> I'm glad to be able to announce that we moved the repository
> infrastructure to git and gerrit, with jenkins as supporting facility.

Yay!  Go Git.

Question, though: is this going to be accompanied by a revised
tagging/versioning scheme?  I realize Coreboot has a history of simply
using SVN revisions as version indicators, but I personally must admit I
always found that a bit fast and loose.  However, at least the revision
numbers were sequential, and carried _some_ meaning.  You could for
instance tell at a glance roughly how old any given version was, how
much you (or the version subject to an error report) was trailing HEAD.

Additionally, I suspect hashes are a bad way of communicating version
information to more casual users ("what is the latest stable/tested
version?", "what version should I use for my foo bar mainboard?").

Lastly, and more pragmatically, I need something to put into the version
drop-down at http://lxr.linux.no/coreboot.  This is of course the
motivation for this email. :)  I'm not really keen on git hashes, but the
more active members of the project obviously need to determine what
works for Coreboot as a project.

--
						Arne.