[coreboot] Support for Core i3 and better

xdrudis xdrudis at tinet.cat
Sat Mar 12 10:53:44 CET 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 05:49:50PM +0200, Alex G. wrote:
> > 1. Does Coreboot work with Phenom II  Thuban CPU ? I want 6-core CPU of
> > Phenom2
> >
> It's supported.

I didn't know this had been tested. It's a little difficult for me to
keep track of all mail in the list.

http://www.coreboot.org/Supported_Chipsets_and_Devices

says [only?] FAM10 revisions B0-B3 are supported.

My Phenom II X4 910e is rev RB_C3 and still doesn't boot (although I
no longer think it's the CPU but the southbridge, I can't confirm
either until I can boot).

According to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Phenom_microprocessors#Phenom_series
all Phenom II X6 would be revision E0 (one could look at more authoritative
sources, maybe)

In theory many revisions should work.  In practice there are some
constants in src/northbridge/amd/amdmct/amddefs.h which allocate one
bit in a 32 bit value for each revision. Then these are used to build
masks to test whether to apply workarounds for CPU errata or
particular initializations (like in
src/cpu/amd/model_10xxx/defaults.h).  Some revisions (beyond HY_D0, I
think), don't fit in these 32 bits.  I suspect those revisions may not
work, but maybe these revisions might work because they
just don't need workarounds, etc. I even sent some patches that would
only make sense for revision E and they were committed, but I couldn't
test them (I sent them precisely because I thought no revision E CPU
had been used with coreboot, so I couldn't break anything that worked before,
just hopefully add a small part to support future work).

It might be good to collect a list of tested CPU revisions and maybe
any issues found or any tests performed, if the supported chipsets
page is out of date for FAM10.

I'm sorry I can't contribute to this list though, until my board boots.

P.S. Whether E0 works or not, there's good documentation for it, so it
is fixable.