[coreboot] Mail from a student who wants to apply for coreboot GSoC project

xdrudis xdrudis at tinet.cat
Sat Mar 26 17:29:06 CET 2011

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 10:58:54PM +0800, Hamo wrote:
> Hi lists,
> This is a student from China who wants to apply for coreboot GSoC
> project. I am now studying Computer Science and Technology in Hebei
> University of Technology, which is a key university in China. I
> ardently love low-level developing.
> For this project, I want to do something on ARM. So I want to help
> finish the idea that porting coreboot to Marvell ARM SOC's with PCIe.
> Can someone give me some suggestions?

I don't know much and can't speak for coreboot, but have you looked
at free bootloaders for ARM ? I thought coreboot was centered in x86
because it was a popular arquitecure and it usually lacks free firmware,
while ARM or MIPS are most often used with free bootloaders already.

Might it be better to add PCIe (if not present) to one of those, say U-boot
or something ?

What would be the advantages of porting coreboot to ARM ?