[coreboot] What's the purpose of xcompile?

Patrick Georgi patrick at georgi-clan.de
Mon May 9 13:58:58 CEST 2011

Am 09.05.2011 13:50, schrieb Hamo:
> You mean that we need using crossgcc creates our own ARM-gcc cross
> toolchain? Why must we do this? Could we just trust the famous and
> mostly used toolchain like g++?
"mostly used" is probably an overstatement. There are probably more ARM
toolchains out there than linux distros (which were our main concern
with requiring buildgcc toolchains, given how they all managed to mess
up gcc for us). I expect the same kind of trouble with all these, so
we'd better have some standard toolchain around that we can point people to.

In that case if/when people chose to use their own toolchains and things
break, that's their problem, not ours.

> In this script, it says that it could
> not create an ARM toolchain. Should I fix it?
That script was originally created for building ARM toolchains, before
we repurposed it for coreboot uses (because of the toolchain mess hinted
at above).

It should be enough to run "buildgcc -p arm-elf" (or arm-none-eabi or
something), with maybe a bugfix here or there.

Patrick