[coreboot] Current status of WYSE S50 support

JM fijam at archlinux.us
Wed Nov 16 17:06:21 CET 2011

Hello,

I am interested in replacing the BIOS on WYSE S50 with coreboot. I
have browsed the mailing list archives, however, some of the reports
are a bit unclear. I'd appreciate if someone could shed some light on
the following concerns of mine:

1. Does the board work after RAMBASE rework (i.e. is ticket #163 really fixed)?

2. Is the current support of this board sufficient to boot Linux? More
specifically, I have come across some reports of broken vsa and acpi,
is this still an issue? If so, how does the lack of those features
affect normal Linux operation?

3. When booting Linux from USB using default manufacturer's BIOS the
ATA port is being disabled. Is this a software or hardware limitation?
In other words, if I boot from USB with coreboot/SeaBIOS would I have
ATA enabled?

4. When I boot the Linux kernel with the default BIOS it occasionally
hangs on initializing the PCI subsystem. Is this a result of a bug in
vsa code (virtualized pci) or BIOS? Does the problem persist with
coreboot/SeaBIOS and AMD's vsa? I noticed something called OpenVSA,
does it support Geode GX?

5. Can I help in any way with the development not being a programmer?

Thanks,
JM