[coreboot] More elaborate commit messages

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Apr 28 09:44:09 CEST 2012

Dear coreboot folks,

it is great to see all the patches sent, reviewed and committed to the
list.

Could the commit messages please be more elaborate? In my opinion it
would not only help review and prevent possible breakage, it is in my
opinion even more important for new contributors and later bug or
regression hunting.

I am well aware that it takes more time to write nice and elaborate
commit messages like for commit 751508ab [1]. But it is worth it in the
long term to know what the problem was, how it was fixed and how it was
tested.

In addition since our Wiki lacks some pages on supported boards and some
areas are not that up to date, it is important to document a certain
working state in the commit message.

So if new boards are added, it would be great, to have more information
about this board. An URL to a Web site with more information, what
payload was used, what operating system was tested, what did work and
what did not and how long did it take coreboot to execute.

This would also make it easier for journalists and non-developers to
write up articles including blog posts about new developments in the
coreboot project.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://review.coreboot.org/gitweb?p=coreboot.git;a=commit;h=751508ab019e0612f715ea481c550d73aa240112