[coreboot] [ltp] Re: [Thinkpad] Free T60

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Mon Jul 2 14:39:35 CEST 2012

[adding coreboot mailing list to CC]

Am 29.06.2012 16:49 schrieb Stefan Monnier:
>> You do know that all Thinkpad T60/X60 can replace the BIOS with coreboot?
> No, I didn't, that would be wonderful news.
> I see a few mentions of T60 support when googling for it, but nothing
> sufficiently clear to make me confident I would know how to flash it and
> I'd be able to assess whether I'm flashing the right firmware.

Admittedly the information about coreboot on a T60/X60 is spread around
quite a bit:
http://www.coreboot.org/Thinkpad_X60s has some status info
http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2012-January/067959.html has
some info on how to replace the BIOS on that machine with coreboot, but
read the WHOLE thread because the linked mail had a few typos in the
description.

> Any pointers to information about it would be very welcome (e.g. which
> T60 are "supported" or at least expected to work?

AFAIK all T60/X60 variants work with coreboot. Sven Schnelle knows more,
he is the one who ported coreboot to those thinkpads.

> does flashrom work or do I need some hardware-mod?

You need a small flashrom patch and the bucts utility, no hardware mod
needed.

> how easily can I revert to the proprietary
> firmware if something (e.g. suspend) doesn't work quite right?)

You can simply reflash the original BIOS to the flash chip if you're
running coreboot.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel