[coreboot] Regarding contribution for coreboot

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jun 5 16:55:48 CEST 2012

Dear Manasa,

please excuse the late replay and thank you for your patience.

Am Montag, den 04.06.2012, 18:24 +0530 schrieb manasa gv:

> I am new and interested to work on coreboot.I have gone through the
> coreboot website.
> I am trying to do  patch review.. But I am taking more time to come up
> with the solution compared to others..

that is to be expected when getting into coreboot. Do not let this
demotivate you.

Sorry for the lack of replies. I am not up to date, but I think you
tried to do patch review over the list only which is not how it is done
in coreboot currently. A Gerrit instance [1] is used for that. You need
to log in with an OpenID (from Google Mail(?)) and leave comments there
for example. [2]

> So,Please let me know any other ways to contribute for coreboot apart
> from patch review??

I guess the best thing to get going is probably to get it running on
some hardware. The Toshiba laptop you asked about is currently not
supported [3]. Getting the chipset support done is probably to much
work, so you should get a different system. The ASRock E350M1 is pretty
good supported. Otherwise get some other AMD based system.

If that is not possible you could try QEMU although this is better to
play with payloads. You could try to get Tint running with QEMU and
probably port some more programs to libpayload.

It is pretty difficult to suggest something not knowing what your
background and interests are. Can you also share where you are located?
Maybe some coreboot user lives near by you could get in touch with.

Please also feel free to join the IRC channel [4] to get more
information.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://review.coreboot.org/