[coreboot] New patch to review for coreboot: 73b5bba Prepare the BIOS data areas before device init.

Andrew Goodbody ajg4tadpole at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 14:24:12 CET 2012

On 07/03/12 12:37, Jonathan A. Kollasch wrote:
> First of all, INITIAL_EBDA_SEGMENT has been 0xF600 prior to this change.

OK, I guess it works then. At least most of the time anyway.

> I believe loading a SeaBIOS payload will obliterate the coreboot EBDA at
> this location.  SeaBIOS almost certainly replaces/updates the BDA and
> will position its own EBDA at an appropriate place.

I guess there is no need to go back to coreboot code at that point so
this is OK. It just seems to me that it would be neater and more
consistent if the EBDA were in an appropriate place to begin with.

What is the reason to have it up at 0xf6000? Linux will boot happily
with it at 0x9c000 or even somewhat lower, as it must to boot with a
standard BIOS.

Andrew