[coreboot] bluetooth on Thinkpad X60s

Motiejus Jakštys desired.mta at gmail.com
Tue May 1 23:14:48 CEST 2012

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Patrick Georgi <patrick at georgi-clan.de> wrote:
> Am Di 01 Mai 2012 21:24:00 CEST schrieb Motiejus Jakštys:
>> 2) The only way to disable bluetooth device now is modifying coreboot
>> source code. There should be a better way. Compile-time configuration
>> (via make menuconfig) would be feasible and doable for me. However,
>> any better suggestions? It would be *perfect*, if it was possible to
>> toggle it at runtime. How could I figure out if it is possible?
>>
>> Pointers appreciated.
> The get_option function uses CMOS nvram, but that has to be compiled in
> (which isn't the default in the tree yet).
> The nvram can be configured with our nvramtool (see util/nvramtool).
> When booting a coreboot equipped system, nvramtool automatically
> determines the available fields and their legal values from a table
> kept in RAM by coreboot.

Thanks for the help and clarifications.

With your patch bluetooth device starts regardless NVRAM value.
Without your patch it does not start regardless NVRAM value.

However, with this option set:
CONFIG_USE_OPTION_TABLE
bluetooth respects the value in NVRAM.

I pushed a commit which enables this option if the architecture is
Lenovo X60. There are more advantages to enable this option for this
architecture, though (noted in commit message).

Besides, why isn't it default yet? What are the blockers to enable
this option by default (in perfect world, it should be enabled?)?

Best regards,
Motiejus Jakštys