[coreboot] Ivy Bridge desktop support

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Tue Apr 2 18:56:33 CEST 2013

Hello Paul,

Am 02.04.2013 11:12, schrieb Paul Menzel:
> Am Sonntag, den 31.03.2013, 21:10 +0200 schrieb Paul Menzel:
>
>> Am Samstag, den 30.03.2013, 19:57 +0100 schrieb Nico Huber:
>>
>>> I'm looking forward to write a port for my Ivy Bridge desktop system based
>>> on this board: Intel DH77EB (codenamed Eb Lake, [1]). It comes with the H77
>>> platform controller hub (PCH) and a Winbond W83677HG super I/O chip (build
>>> by Nuvoton as NCT6775F, [2]). I'm using it with a Core i3-3225 processor [3].
>>
>> awesome news! Best luck with this!
>>
>>> I've got the datasheet for the super I/O, so writing support for it should
>>> be no problem.
>>
>> The ASRock E350M1 [4] also uses the Nuvoton NCT6775F. Currently the code
>> from the Winbond W83627HF [5].
>>
>>     device pci 14.3 on # LPC        0x439d
>>         chip superio/winbond/w83627hf
>>
>> Serial works for me. The only problem that might be related from any
>> incompatibilities is, that a PS/2 keyboard connected to the shared PS/2
>> port does not work correctly, meaning, entering a character the
>> characters is displayed several times more. Entering »n«, I get
>> »nnnnnnnn« for example. Alvaro, having a ASRock E350M1/USB3, also uses a
>> PS/2 keyboard *but* has no problems with this at all. So I have no idea
>> if this is related to the Super I/O or not.
Sounds weird. But something I can't test / run into: My board doesn't even
have a PS/2 port.

> Please note that Martin Roth pointed out to me, that when looking at the
> the ASRock E350M1, one actually finds that the Nuvoton NCT5572D is used.
> Both superiotool and Linux’ w83627ehf are incorrect.
>
>         superiotool r4.0-3888-gce9f8be
>         Found Nuvoton NCT6775F (B) (id=0xb473) at 0x2e
>
> And if you know what you have to look for, you also find that this was
> known all time along [8].
>
>         The board has a socketed SPI flash BIOS chip and a serial port
>         header. The SIO is Nuvoton NCT5572D. Using coreboot's existing
>         Winbond w83627hf is a good enough match to get the serial port
>         and keyboard working.
Uh, does this mean that both chips share the same ID? I get the same output
from superiotool:
    Found Nuvoton NCT6775F (B) (id=0xb473) at 0x2e
My chip is labeled W83677HG and I vaguely remember that I saw on a web page
that this is a NCT6775F. But I can't find the page anymore :(
Also, W83677HG sounds more like NCT6775F than NCT5572D.

Thanks,
Nico