[coreboot] On loongson CPU or MIPS ARCH

David Hendricks dhendrix at google.com
Tue Apr 30 05:37:37 CEST 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 7:37 PM, li guang <lig.fnst at cn.fujitsu.com> wrote:

> Thanks!

I should thank you :-) You finally motivated me to start a wiki page for
this stuff: http://www.coreboot.org/Exynos5

I want to know why coreboot force to boot a payload?
> can't we skip this payload(by changing hardwaremain())?
> or can we write a simple pseudo payload?

You will need a payload. If you wish to try a simple pseudo payload, the
"hello world" example for libpayload would be a good start:
http://www.coreboot.org/Libpayload .

The term "payload" refers to the code which runs after coreboot, so you
will need one. Unlike pmon2000, u-boot, uefi, etc, coreboot does not
attempt to function as an OS in any capacity. It does not include an
interactive console or a network server. It is intended to perform very
basic hardware initialization only. Everything else is the responsibility
of the payload.

The "payload" may be a Linux kernel if you can fit it on the ROM. As
Vladimir pointed out, this is only 512KB. If you have a very small kernel
then you may simply set it as the payload.

--
David Hendricks (dhendrix)
Systems Software Engineer, Google Inc.