[coreboot] Are any Chromebooks able to run fully libre?

Oliver Schinagl oliver+list at schinagl.nl
Sat Dec 28 15:01:10 CET 2013

On 12/27/13 16:23, Alex G. wrote:
> On 12/27/2013 04:43 AM, Oliver Schinagl wrote:
>> That said, how is A13, A20 support for coreboot?
>>
> Non-existent. On A10, we're still figuring out how to read from MMC
> (partially working with code stolen from uboot), and how to init DRAM
> (hangs with code stolen from uboot).
Well our u-boot patches are all GPL so feel free to use them, don't need
to steal ;)

Anyway, as I said, if you need help or thoughts, feel free to poke me or
our Mailing list, we are surely interested to also have boot support
from coreboot.

There currently is a MMC driver being written and submitted (already) to
the lkaml etc that should help you out a lot. MMC support is maybe
'ugly' in u-boot but should be done reasonable (we rely on it a lot as
its the main way to boot with our u-boot). SPI i'm working on right now,
gotta find a way though to hook up an SPI flash module. Nand is very
very much WiP.

As for initing of DRAM, that's a horrible affair and i've been putting
off refactoring that, afraid things may break if things are even in the
wrong order. The code is a GPL donation from allwinner and based of
their GPL boot0/boot1 code.

> We don't have an infrastructure
> for block devices, let alone MMC. Our ARM support is still wearing diapers.
Understood,

besides the 'because you can' why would you want to replace u-boot with
coreboot here? (I do think it's great to have multiple ways, just
inquiring).

Oliver