[coreboot] Different Google copyright notices: »The Chromium OS Authors. ?«

Hung-Te Lin hungte at chromium.org
Fri Feb 1 03:09:42 CET 2013

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 6:36 AM, Paul Menzel <
paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> > > ah yes well I do kind of wonder if *I* know what I'm doing half the
> > > time :-)
> >
> > I guess the concern was that perhaps there was a single correct
> > notice to be used, and that some of you guys made a mistake
> > somewhere. I don't expect that you make such mistakes, but I
> > guess that's what Paul meant.
>
> Well, thanks to Hung-Te’s clarifying answer, at least the inconsistent
> spelling of »The Chromium*OS Authors.« with or without space shows that
> a mistake indeed was made while copying.

    Oops, I won't call that a "mistake by copy". Just like Ron said,
copyright and policy changes.
    I only verified "latest one is 'Chromium OS Authors'" for chromium.org.
    Maybe it was without space, lower case c, ... etc for some time (or
maybe there was not a standard long time ago).

    That's why I only changed "my new changes on gerrit" (i.e., those not
merged yet) instead of changing all files related to chromium.org, because
I can only make sure those were made by taking copyright string from old
files.

> Also I assume, that the inconsistency in adding »All rights reserved.«
> or having the copyright sign spelled with a capitalized »(C)« or not
> »(c)« is a mistake (and not a policy decision).
>
> So to keep the differences between files small, it would be awesome if
> some Google/Chromium OS developer could unify that and set up some
> pre-commit hook checking that with each commit.

    For same reason, for new commits we can be more careful to use latest
correct copyright string, but it seems no harm to keep old files as-is.
What do you think?

Regards,
Hung-Te