[coreboot] Simple diagram for modern laptop booting flow

Svetoslav Trochev svetoslav.trochev at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 20:38:59 CET 2013

Thanks Антон,

I'm having a problem when I try to read your chart. I'm sure it is my fault
and probably makes more sense to someone more knowledgeable about modern
hardware, but at the same time someone like me should able to get basic
understanding. My problems are:
1. I am seeing many components and clearly some of them are hardware and
others are software blocks. It would be nice if we can use some kind of
convention to distinguish between the two.
2. I am not sure where the beginning of the chart is. I see label "POWER
ON", but looked from beginners eyes it looks like the SPI chip is
responsible to power on the "BP starts".
3. You are using many different colours and pattern lines, but I don't see
a legend what different line represent. Is it electrical signal, software
call, data flow and etc.

I'm looking forward to become helpful hand for coreboot project and your
work is going to be invaluable for me to understand the 'black magic' of
modern hardware.