[coreboot] building a coreboot (and 100% free software) compatible box

xdrudis xdrudis at tinet.cat
Thu Feb 7 18:46:06 CET 2013

On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 04:13:00PM +0100, "Kristóf, Csillag" wrote:
> It seems that you are right.

Yes, I'm afraid we lose. I'd love to hear about any success however,
I'd be interested in such a system. At least with regards to freedom
my requirements are the same, performance and features are more relaxed.
And a little graphics power would be fine (NV50 will do).
Another secondary requirement for me would be little maintenance, so
the least custom software and the more use of debian repositories
or similar, the better.

> I am now looking at MIPS hardware built by Lemote.

My yeeloong has poor performance. Maybe because of
the unoptimized software, but the desktop is not
very responsive and browsers regurarly crash. I think
it worked better before I installed wheezy and then started
to compile some packages with loongsoon flags. I don't
spend enough time looking at it. I may try parabola
some day. Console and some tasks are fine, though.

> That fulfills 1.1, but not much else...

Indeed. But I've heard they're working on newer MIPS
processors, not sure about the freedom requirements for
those or what will be available when.