[coreboot] i915tool

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 20:25:13 CET 2013

I just updated it.
https://code.google.com/p/i915tool/
I had to wait, starting some time ago, because there was too much info
appearing in it about this:
http://techland.time.com/2013/02/21/googles-chomebook-pixel-the-chromebook-goes-high-end/

and I got nervous.

graphics in coreboot now without a vbios. The code is crude and I'm in
the process of creating a replacement. The tool to create the real
code is in the i915tool and is called gen915code.c. Note that it does
lot of annotation, turning things like this:
{W, 1, "", _PIPEACONF, 0x00000040, },

{W, 1, "", _PIPEACONF, (/* PIPECONF_FRAME_START_DELAY_MASK */0x0<<27)|
PIPECONF_BPP_6 | PIPECONF_DITHER_TYPE_SP |0x00000

What this means is that moving to other laptops *may* be easier.

We've got kernel patches too, and the result is that we've (in an
experiment) reduced boot time to a login prompt to less than 4 seconds
(after firmware is finished).

My goal is to make that better, but we'll see. But we chopped a full 3
seconds off of boot.

I am sorry this i915tool is a mess. I really wish it were better. I
offer it in the state it is because I'm hoping it can be used, but
it's very experimental and represents a lot of lessons learned the
hard way. Part of this mess is that my ideas about how to do the work
have changed so much since I started it.

Here are docs, which are also not very good, sorry!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g8FMob25VZYxbWri2iFB8YiSL8gwF9vKJH3HGxr0xQU/edit?usp=sharing

Questions to me. Hope that some part of this is useful.

ron