[coreboot] coreboot can boot Linux but cannot boot Windows7

Patrick Georgi patrick at georgi-clan.de
Tue Jan 22 08:42:24 CET 2013

Am 2013-01-22 03:14, schrieb WANG Siyuan:
> I am debugging a board. coreboot could boot Linux and load graphic
> driver, but it could not boot Windows 7.
> Has anyone encountered similar problem?
Linux is much more tolerant about many things, in particular about ACPI
and a couple more tables.

I collected a bunch of issues at
http://www.coreboot.org/ACPI#Windows_Errors - if you find issues that
aren't listed there, you can look for an explanation (of STOP codes and
similar behaviour) on msdn.com. If that still doesn't help you, you will
have to debug your windows install (with windbg) and figure out what the
problem is.
If you can get hold of checked Windows builds, I recommend these -
they're much more helpful (especially when it comes to ACPI).
Unfortunately their install CD is unchecked, so if you fail to find
informations on the installer, you'll have to install on another machine
and swap disks (or use legacy BIOS), and probe the installed windows.

In any case, please document your results on the wiki page I mentioned.

Patrick