[coreboot] coreboot can boot Linux but cannot boot Windows7

Marc Jones marcj303 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 19:37:19 CET 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 12:42 AM, Patrick Georgi <patrick at georgi-clan.de> wrote:
> Am 2013-01-22 03:14, schrieb WANG Siyuan:
>
>> I am debugging a board. coreboot could boot Linux and load graphic
>> driver, but it could not boot Windows 7.
>> Has anyone encountered similar problem?
>
> Linux is much more tolerant about many things, in particular about ACPI and
> a couple more tables.
>
> I collected a bunch of issues at http://www.coreboot.org/ACPI#Windows_Errors
> - if you find issues that aren't listed there, you can look for an
> explanation (of STOP codes and similar behaviour) on msdn.com. If that still
> doesn't help you, you will have to debug your windows install (with windbg)
> and figure out what the problem is.
> If you can get hold of checked Windows builds, I recommend these - they're
> much more helpful (especially when it comes to ACPI). Unfortunately their
> install CD is unchecked, so if you fail to find informations on the
> installer, you'll have to install on another machine and swap disks (or use
> legacy BIOS), and probe the installed windows.
>
> In any case, please document your results on the wiki page I mentioned.
>

> Patrick

As Patrick mentioned, this is probably an ACPI problem and you should
review the wikipage. Linux is a lot more tollerant of bad tables. You
should review the dmesg for problems that Linux gets past. You may
also want to run the ubuntu fwts. It has a lot of ACPI tests built in.
For windows, you should set windows to BSOD instead of reset. You may
need to connect the windows debugger to get more information from the
ACPI daemon.

We have been fixing a number of issues in the AMD fam14 and fam15tn ACPI tables.

You should review these changes:
http://review.coreboot.org/1476
http://review.coreboot.org/1480
http://review.coreboot.org/2157