[coreboot] Supported laptops (again), treacherous computing

Nikita Karetnikov nikita at karetnikov.org
Sat Jul 13 20:18:50 CEST 2013

> How do you want to help? You can get a Thinkpad right now, with the best
> coreboot has to offer, knowing full well it isn't 100% free (yet).

Well, I'm still not sure about that.  Could you elaborate on non-free
components?  This page [1] is not clear about microcode, for instance.

> You can start a porting effort for those AMD laptops.

I don't have the needed skills.  Moreover, I'm not even sure that I
would be able to install Coreboot on a supported laptop.  IIUC, even if
I get one with a supported chipset, it might not work, right?

I mentioned Thinkpads for two reasons: I thought they don't need
proprietary components, and they are quite popular among Coreboot
people.

[1] http://www.coreboot.org/Thinkpad_X60s#proprietary_components_status