[coreboot] Asrock E350M1 option roms for AHCI mode for SATA controller

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jul 20 21:27:44 CEST 2013

Dear Reiner,

Am Samstag, den 20.07.2013, 13:47 +0200 schrieb Reiner Luett:

[…]

> On 02.07.2013 23:42, Paul Menzel wrote:
>
> > I do not understand that paragraph. Could you please elaborate how you
> > figure out that the SATA controller is not running in AHCI mode anymore
> > after powering off.
>
> That was a bit strange, because I don't know why AHCI is not working
> with the involved SSD.
>
> My setup is the following: I've compiled coreboot with the defaults and
> add the needed vBios. After flashing into the ROM and reboot the
> machine, I can boot from the connected Sandisk pSSD P4  (SDSA3BD-016G).

with AHCI, right?

> After powering off, the AHCI mode is working, but I cannot boot from the
> device any more.
>
> I've tried some other devices. USB flash drive with DOS don't work. Also
> some USB flash drive with grub doesn't work. But booting from a CD/DVD
> or traditional SATA drive was fine.
>
> If I have changed to IDE Mode, I can boot every device. I guess, that
> there is a problem with this SSD. Maybe I need to debug the firmware,
> but I don't know how.

What firmware? The one from the SSD device?

> > In coreboot since some months AHCI mode is the default mode and
> > therefore everything should work out of the box. Even if you selected
> > NATIVE (IDE mode) only loading the payload like GRUB or SeaBIOS would
> > take a little longer. Afterward for example the Linux kernel switches to
> > AHCI mode anyway [1].
>
> Yes you are right. AHCI mode works. I only recognized a difference with
> the sensors (CPU internal temp) and the fan control in AHCI mode.

Please paste the differences.

> With the IDE mode the values aren't correct shown. I would appreciate to use
> the AHCI mode with the SSD. Maybe you have some suggestions how I could
> get it working.

1. What payloads did you try?
2. Please paste the full logs with debugging output enabled in the
payload(s), when it works and when it does not.

> > I do not even know if the vendor BIOS ships these ROMs. But
> > `bios_extract` would be the way to go to check.
>
> IMC firmware should be free. It comes with the sources. I cannot use
> bios_extract with the current Asrock UEFI.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to fix `bios_extract` that.

Thanks,

Paul