[coreboot] About the status of "Getting Started : QEMU"

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Fri Jun 7 08:08:09 CEST 2013

On 06/07/13 03:11, Svetoslav Trochev wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I was looking at the wiki's Getting Started | QEMU section [1] and I
> noticed that all examples are outdated: coreboot V2 or V3. I
> understand that for most coreboot developers QEMU will provide no
> benefits, but for me it seem a good idea to practice building coreboot
> for QEMU in order to gain better understanding about coreboot before I
> start working with hardware. So my question is: Why listed examples
> are out of date? Is it because there is no much of benefit to play
> with QEMU/coreboot, or just because there is no human resources to
> maintain up to date version of the tutorial and ready-build images?

It's pretty simple with v4 + recent[1] qemu:

  (1) "make config"
       - pick CONFIG_BOARD_EMULATION_QEMU_X86
       - pick the payload you want play with
       - tweak any config options as you like,
         if in doubt simply stick to the defaults.
  (2) "make"
  (3) "qemu -bios /path/to/coreboot/build/coreboot.rom $other $args".

cheers,
  Gerd

[1] As in "newer than 0.12" which is several years old by now.
    No special care for vgabios needed any more.