[coreboot] Management engine firmware

George Chriss gschriss at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 03:41:10 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 7:16 PM, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko <
phcoder at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, all. In order to build X201 rom, you need management engine
> firmware. For chromebook the appropriate blobs are in 3rdparty repo, I
> suppose supplied by Intel. The only place where I could get ME firmware
> for X201 is by dumping chip with external programmer. It's probably not
> appropriate for coreboot to distribute those blobs (I'm unsure on their
> license) and given that it writes a log to its section which may contain
> private data, I don't want to distribute it either. Yet without this
> blob the build legitimately fails. Any suggestions on handling this?

Are the coreboot dependencies function calls or something
hardware-specific?  Is it possible to build a 'dummy' management engine
that still boots the X201, even with reduced functionality?  (Is ME binary
code executed at any point using coreboot?)

Sincerely,
George