[coreboot] coreboot 2013 Google Summer of Code: Call for mentors and project ideas

Marc Jones marcj303 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 18:10:03 CET 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Stefan Tauner
<stefan.tauner at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
> Thanks Marc for the kickoff mail!
> We (everybody else) should do a little bit more than we have done yet
> to make this happen ;)
>
> I'd like to participate as student again, rather doing a flashrom than
> a coreboot project, but we will see. I talked to Carl-Daniel and he
> will not have time to really mentor anybody (but me, due to obvious
> reasons (there was very little mentoring going on the first time) ;)
>
> If there would be another student interested in flashrom I would be
> able and like to mentor him. Sadly, doing both is not possible... at
> least not officially. I am not sure how to solve this yet (e.g. by
> registering as mentor only after we have found a suitable student), but
> OTOH I fear it will not be a problem anyway (i.e. lack of interest
> in flashrom).
>
> I'll try to figure out some more flashrom project ideas, talk with
> Carl-Daniel and update our last year's page
> (http://flashrom.org/GSoC) and help with the cb wiki too.
>
> I think it would be a good idea to gather information on who wants to
> help and how, therefore...
> http://www.coreboot.org/GSoC#People_involved
> Maybe we could also schedule an IRC meeting of these, maybe in the next
> days?
> --
> Kind regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Stefan Tauner
>
> --

Hi Stefan,

As you are currently a student, you should take advantage of the
program as a student. I appreciate your offer to mentor and we will
certainly lean on you for support for flashrom (gsoc or not).

Thanks for adding http://www.coreboot.org/GSoC#People_involved.

Without more interest from mentors, I don't think that we(I) will
apply. Honestly, I don't want to go through the effort of the
application if we don't have a good backing of mentors, projects, and
documentation to attract students. I am looking to our community to
help attract new developers to coreboot.  Mentoring isn't hard work,
but it does take attention every week and we must start now. We need
to work on our wiki and project planning. We need to help students
become more successful with coreboot by laying out some of the details
and anticipating the difficulties members have. The lack of interest
is is a bit ironic, as we have had more contributions to coreboot than
ever before. coreboot on shipping devices from AMD, Google, and
others. Honestly, I'm disappointed that we can't identify good
projects and guidance for new firmware developers.  (This is something
I struggle with myself). Without good complete project ideas, applying
for GSoC is pointless.

Org application deadline is March 29th.

Please put forward coreboot, flashrom, and payload ideas.

Regards,
Marc

--
http://se-eng.com