[coreboot] BadBIOS Thoughts

Alex mr.nuke.me at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 16:48:29 CET 2013

On 11/03/2013 02:19 PM, ron minnich wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 2:47 PM, Alex <mr.nuke.me at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry Ron, but you're just asking me to take your word for it. I can't
>> do that. There's more secret code running on a Chromebook's firmware than
>> there is free code. In fact, I would argue, most code where attack vectors
>> could hide is secret. It's a foul's paradise.
>
> I can't argue with you on that one.

The argument that should be made with chromebooks is that they have a
significant portion of their firmware opensourced, and they are "more
free" than comparable systems. It should be argued they are a step in
the right direction, and although the current generation of Chromebooks
will most likely never be completely free, using a Chromebook sends the
message that we want more libre stuff.

Then, if the next generation is less blobby, this argument is believable
and accurate. Keeping up this pace, ten generation in the future, we
might actually see a completely libre system. In the end, a totalitarian
system (most laptops) is much worse than an opressive system
(Chromebooks). (sorry for the analogy)

Alex