[coreboot] BadBIOS Thoughts

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 22:45:24 CET 2013

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Alex <mr.nuke.me at gmail.com> wrote:

> [Broken record warning] What if, somehow, the community gathered a few
> brains, talked to a vendor, and convinced them to put coreboot on a
> yet-to-be-released product? It would almost seem like the community would do
> most of the work for free. What sort of responses have we received in the
> past with this approach? System 76, ThinkPenguin, Pudget, etc... have we
> tried any of them? They have sleek systems, and at least the first two value
> openness more than the average.

I've tried before with some of those guys They're not going to help
because they are not designers. Below a fairly high level, they don't
know what's in their systems. Sure, it's a nice shiny skin. But all
the real work is done by the ODM.

This is a really hard problem. Google is the first company, aside from
Linux NetworX, to really commit to a product that uses coreboot. It's
been nice to see.

It bothers me that so few people know what's inside their computers,
but maybe it should not: most people don't know how their cars work
either. Maybe the days of really understanding your hardware are gone.

ron