[coreboot] HP Pavilion 14 Chromebook - AKA Butterfly

John Lewis jlewis at johnlewis.ie
Fri Oct 18 23:42:17 CEST 2013

On 18/10/2013 20:49, Kyösti Mälkki wrote:

> On 18.10.2013 22:03, John Lewis wrote:

>>> Ok, modified Kconfig file explains the -dirty flag. Is your logfile
>>> on ramfs or SD card? Send a log of commands you run on BeagleBone
>>> Black and also dmesg from the same sequence. Start with the loading
>>> of g_dbgp module. Maybe, if there is high latency on USB device
>>> port
>>> on BBB, usbdebug hits one of the timeouts. You can try to increase
>>> that in lib/usbdebug.c, line 802: info->ep_pipe[i].timeout = 1000;
>>> This was slow enough for average 9600bps and there isn't really a
>>> complete recovery mechanism implemented. Even if usbdebug times
>>> out,
>>> the boot will continue, but somewhat slower and without output on
>>> usbdebug console. You will not get any SeaBIOS interaction over
>>> usbdebug, not implemented. You will not get any GRUB interaction
>>> over
>>> usbdebug without loading related modules in grub.cfg file. I have
>>> not
>>> used it with the debug gadget driver at all, only with the DIY
>>> dongle. Making BBB work here would make a nice contribution so I
>>> hope
>>> you are willing to spend some time on it! Kyösti
>> It's on the BBB's filesystem, whatever that is. Okay, but beyond
>> there isn't much - I even renamed the one gadget module which was
>> getting loaded ahead of g_dbgp.ko, because I thought rmmod -f might
>> make the USB subsystem act strangely. I will run a bunch of boots
>> with
>> the same firmware and see how consistent the output is, and maybe
>> try
>> adjusting the timeout then. Do you happen to know if loading
>> usbserial_usbdebug.mod in the grub config will pull in all necessary
>> modules? I don't mind spending as long as it takes, just remember I
>> don't know C, and I haven't programmed in earnest since circa 1996.
>> :)
>> John.
>
> Find attached my grub.cfg with both serial and usb consoles, also
> enabling some debugging for USB storage there. You could possibly
> move
> set debug="usb" before the insmods, but you may need to revert it
> before
> using serial_usb0.
>
> The easiest way is to use a desktop board booting to grub and have it
> provide grub shell over serial terminal. Those would be the first
> five
> lines. You can then copy-paste other commands while capturing all
> communication to logfile to check for any handshake with the BBB.
>
> Kyösti

I'm unsure exactly what you mean. I thought that with the correct
grub.cfg the grub output would just continue where the BIOS debug output
finished i.e. going to the Beaglebone?

I have tried a grub.cfg with just the first 5 lines and with just the
usb relevant stuff, hoping I would get a grub prompt over the gadget
tty, but to no avail.

John.