[coreboot] New addendums to INTEL FSP family

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 19:25:39 CEST 2014

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 10:17 AM, David Hubbard
<david.c.hubbard+coreboot at gmail.com> wrote:

> Could the two interested parties negotiate a compromise? In my mind that's
> Google calling Intel, and they talk it over. That probably just demonstrates
> how little I understand about who and what is involved.

Goodness, you think that has not happened, frequently, not just with
Google but with many parties over the last 15 years? I'm afraid it
demonstrates what you said :-(

But, really, if you did know, your head would explode, as mine does, frequently.

> But I ordered an HP Pavilion m6-1035dx. It appears the OEM's neglect of AMD
> has meant they haven't "added features," which makes our job easy and
> weakens Intel's negotiating position.

I doubt it weakens anyone's position on anything. Well, I don't doubt
it -- I know it. The only way it works is if HP starts distributing
coreboot on that laptop. And, clearly, they don't perceive that as in
their interest.

It's all about quantity. That's what the vendors used to hit me over
the head with, repeatedly. I got sick of hearing "tell me how many
million more systems this will sell", but I heard it from all of them,
save AMD. AMD has been very visionary in their attitudes in many ways.
Would that the OEM's were as visionary.

I really don't want to be rude here, not trying to be, but there's a
lot of talk on this issue that is driven by ignorance. And the people
who know what's going on, can't talk; the people who don't know, talk
:-) Twas ever thus.

Anyway, one more pass, and I mute this thread :-)

ron