[coreboot] [Heads up] CPU_ADDR_BITS set to 36 bits again on most Intel device (was: [coreboot-gerrit] Patch merged into coreboot/master: a438049 model_106cx: don't blindly set Kconfig settings)

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Aug 12 08:41:27 CEST 2014

Dear coreboot folks,

Am Sonntag, den 10.08.2014, 16:34 +0200 schrieb gerrit at coreboot.org:
> the following patch was just integrated into master:
> commit a438049422fae85fe4df3ab3f89dbca797d6f5a9
> Author: Aaron Durbin <adurbin at chromium.org>
> Date:   Tue Sep 17 22:01:48 2013 -0500
>
>     model_106cx: don't blindly set Kconfig settings
>
>     The CPU_ADDR_BITS was being unconditionally set.
>     Don't do that.

[…]

> See http://review.coreboot.org/6535 for details.

since the submission of the commit above `CONFIG_CPU_ADDR_BITS` is set
to 36 bits on most Intel devices instead of 32 bit, which it has been
since almost two years after a bad conflict resolution in the revert
commit 51676b14 (Revert "Use broadcast SIPI to startup siblings) [1],
where the checks from commit c7fb2ae6 (Intel cpus: use CPU_ADDR_BITS
from Kconfig during CAR) [2] were removed.

I was told it should not make a difference for machines below 4 GB, but
it’d be great if you could test it on your Intel boards.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://review.coreboot.org/1381
[2] http://review.coreboot.org/639