[coreboot] Problems with Coreboot and SeaBIOS on VIA EPIA-M

xchip at hush.ai xchip at hush.ai
Sun Aug 24 10:01:38 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 8/24/2014 at 1:48 AM, "ron minnich" <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>when I'm having trouble with lzma what I do is not build a payload,
>and run the ramstage uncompressed, and at least make sure that
>works.

I tried that as well and it does work indeed. It does basically the same thing
as if I apply that "hack" to define that LZMA constant, as I mentioned before.
In both cases the coreboot initializations seems to be fine, as far as I can tell.

>I think this is your real problem, as you say.
>
>Trying CBFS ramstage loader.
>CBFS: loading stage fallback/ramstage @ 0x100000 (151600 bytes),
>entry
>@ 0x100000
>CBFS: tried to decompress 43540 bytes with algorithm #1,but that
>algorithm id is unsupported.
>Ramstage was not loaded!
>

>This is really weird. But I don't think you should go one step
>further
>until you see why this is happening, because it points to other
>bigger
>problems.
>

>BTW, when you omitted the vga bios, did you rebuild seabios to not
>expect vga to be present?

I think I did. I thought the CONFIG_NO_VGABIOS=y in my SeaBIOS
config was what I needed, but if there is anything else I need to
configure, maybe I have missed it.

>I don't think the issue is the lzma compression does not work.
>Somehow
>the config step is broken, and if that variable is not set right,
>others may not be set right either. The integrity of your build is
>questionable.

You are probably right. The reason I wanted to get that LZMA compression
to work was that I then could use a more default SeaBIOS configuration.
I figured that there would be less possibilities for me to break the
SeaBIOS configuration, when I don't have to disable lots of features to
save space to make it fit uncompressed on the flash chip.

>When's the last time we had a success with EPIA-M? I just don't
>recall, anyone know?
>
>ron

xchip