[coreboot] bug report: i945 text-mode native graphics initialization: graphical corruption with starting Debian/Trisquel net installer.

The Gluglug info at gluglug.org.uk
Mon Aug 25 17:50:37 CEST 2014

Using 6725 to enable text-mode gfx init on X60 when using native
graphics initialization.

Affected machines: X60, T60.
It may also affect: macbook21/macbook11, X60 Tablet

This relies on the (merged) patch 6723 that enables text-mode graphics
initialization on i945 platforms. The code is there.

I then disabled "Keep VESA framebuffer" in menuconfig, to enable
text-mode.

error: no video mode activated
This is what I see when I try to use the net install iso for Debian
with the isolinux parser in grub.
I also saw the same thing when trying to start Trisquel 6 isolinux
menu from SeaBIOS (with SeaVGABIOS added at vgaroms/vgabios.bin from
seabios's rom that I built).

See attached image of what happens when I try to boot the net install
from Debian (same thing happens with the Trisquel net install), using
the following:
linux (usb0)/install.386/vmlinuz
initrd (usb0)/install.386/initrd.gz
boot

As you can see, there is quite a lot of flicker and parts of the
screen are missing or corrupt. I think this is related to the issue
above ("error: no video mode activated").

The net install for Debian and Trisquel both work when using
corebootfb initialization method, but they fail (as seen in the image)
for text-mode method.

In case the attachment was scrubbed by the mailing list, I also put it
here:
http://dev.libreboot.org/x60txtmode.jpg

Trisquel graphical install works (I wasn't able to figure out how to
boot the Debian graphical install).

I also enabled it for T60 (adding the keep/drop vesa fb option for
t60/Kconfig, based on 6725, and cherry picking 5345) and the same
behaviour was observed there.

What does work in text-mode init (tested): memtest86+ and grub invaders.