[coreboot] apologies in advance for a question I may have asked

Stefan Reinauer stefan.reinauer at coreboot.org
Wed Aug 27 21:07:06 CEST 2014

* ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> [140827 18:43]:
> I need to set up qemu with a 64MiB ROM.
>
> I figure supporting EFI has made QEMU capable of such things, but if
> anyone has direct experience with this, please let me know. I tried it
> a few years back (2008) and it did not work at all ... I guess worst
> case I can make an NE2000 "device" with a giant ROM, but I'd prefer to
> just do it with a 64MiB device at top of 4GiB address space.

I assume you don't mean MBit, so you're out of luck. Most likely with both
the NE2000 approach and the system firwmware approach.

>From hw/i386/pc_sysfw.c:

/* We don't have a theoretically justifiable exact lower bound on the
 * base
 * address of any flash mapping. In practice, the IO-APIC MMIO range is
 * [0xFEE00000..0xFEE01000[ -- see IO_APIC_DEFAULT_ADDRESS --, leaving
 * free
 * only 18MB-4KB below 4G. For now, restrict the cumulative mapping to
 * 8MB in
 * size.
 */
#define FLASH_MAP_BASE_MIN ((hwaddr)(0x100000000ULL - 8*1024*1024))

Stefan