[coreboot] Motherboard Not on Support MB List -> Specs

mrnuke mr.nuke.me at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 21:34:05 CET 2014

On Wednesday, February 05, 2014 04:53:26 PM Peter Stuge wrote:
> mrnuke wrote:
> > Quark comes with firmware source code IIRC.
>
> I read a little about the quark soc and it seems to have some pretty
> tight signature checks on firmware. I got the impression that it was
> unpossible to use any other firmware than the UEFI it comes with.

Hey, if you can modify the firmware at will, you can kill those checks. I
don't remember where I found the source. Someone on IRC pointed it out. IIRC,
it was a non-copyleft license, similar to BSD.

For someone that has both the time and knowledge, it's worth a shot to port
coreboot to it. The board is only $60. It's one of those things where the sum
of the parts blows up... We ask intel to tell us how to init their memory
controller... they tell us how to init their memory controller on the quark...
we ignore the quark because of unverified concerns.

This is a pretty good chance to tell intel, "libre software works, bitch!"
rather than have them tell us "open source doesn't work, bitch!"

You all think about it,
Alex