[coreboot] licensing text

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Feb 12 22:23:21 CET 2014

Am Mittwoch, den 12.02.2014, 10:42 +0000 schrieb John Lewis:
> On 12/02/14 07:30, ron minnich wrote:
> > This note is motivated by mr.nuke.me <http://mr.nuke.me>'s recent CLs
> > with a short-form GPL notice in them. I like that notice but I think it
> > needs a tweak, then we can just use it everywhere.
> >
> > I just got done relicensing a different project under the GPL. In the
> > process I had to discuss wording and such with Eben Moglen.
> >
> > Based on his suggestions the other project ended up with a very standard
> > form which I've adapted for coreboot.
> >
> > In each file, we'd have this to replace the current pile of text.
> >
> > "This file is part of Coreboot Project. It is subject to the license
>
> Just a couple of minutiae observations. I thought coreboot was supposed
> to be all lower-case, and shouldn't it read "This file is part of *the*
> coreboot project" to avoid sounding like you don't have a grasp of English?

I agree. We try very hard to convince people to spell it all lower case
so all occurrences in our repository should use that spelling.

As a side note, spelling it all lowercase puts people using that word in
other languages in a dilemma. For example in German names are normally
spelled with a capital first letter. So in my opinion project names
should normally start with a capital letter.

The same is even true for English where you normally start the first
word in a sentence with a capital letter.

Not so easy.

Thanks,

Paul