[coreboot] SeaVGABIOS with native vga init (Need testers)

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at no-log.org
Sun Feb 16 19:30:30 CET 2014

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 12:58:11 -0500
Kevin O'Connor <kevin at koconnor.net> wrote:

> I have recently put together a basic implementation of a vgabios for
> use with displays that are initialized by coreboot.
Sorry, I've a huge mail backlog.

> To build this version of SeaVGABIOS, checkout the testing code from:
>
> https://github.com/KevinOConnor/seabios/tree/testing
I've tested it like that:
* I've added it to my branch where I rebased the lenovo x60 native GPU
  init patches left, and the rest that I want and that isn't in
  coreboot yet.
* by default it boots under grub as a payload, so I added seabios in
  payloads/seabios in cbfs, so my cbfs looks like that:
> cmos_layout.bin                0x0        cmos_layout  1828
> cmos.default                   0x780      cmos_default 256
> fallback/romstage              0x8c0      stage        52356
> fallback/coreboot_ram          0xd580     stage        82524
> fallback/payload               0x21840    payload      296852
> etc/grub.cfg                   0x6a040    raw          2885
> config                         0x6abc0    raw          4870
> payloads/seabios               0x6bf00    payload      105960
> vgaroms/sgabios.bin            0x85d40    raw          24064
> etc/ps2-keyboard-spinup        0x8bb80    raw          8
Then It booted in grub as usual, which used the framebuffer inited by
coreboot, so at that point I did:
set root=cbfsdisk
chainloader /payloads/seabios # the command started with chain I don't
remember its name well, but it's something like that
clear # we'll see why later
boot

Then seabios started, and I saw the press F12 on the screen which
overwrote the previous already-there and not-cleared grub stuff (that's
why I used clear before).
Since I had etc/ps2-keyboard-spinup, the keyboard worked and the AHCI
disk was listed after pressing F12
Then I told it to boot on it, and it loaded the older grub that was in
it
The version should be that one from parabola (a 100% free software
GNU/Linux distribution based on arch):
> libre/grub 1:2.02.beta2-1.1 [installed]

That displayed me a prompt, since I didn't setup a grub.cfg, and I
could interact with it too.

The coreboot branch I used can be obtained that way:
git clone git://gitorious.org/gnutoo-for-coreboot/coreboot.git
coreboot-x60
git checkout origin/production+v7_untested -b production+v7

I'll try to boot some live-usb soon.

Thanks a lot!!! I wanted that feature so badly that I looked at it and
started trying to do that more than 6 months ago, but then I got no
time anymore to work on that.

PS: note that this branch broke the 3D acceleration, I should try to
fix it when time permits.

Denis.