[coreboot] how to model the Quark architecture

Aaron Durbin adurbin at chromium.org
Tue Feb 18 19:26:34 CET 2014

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:11 AM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:
> Aaron Durbin wrote:
>> > I think the most obvious thing is the message port architecture?
>> >
>> > Sure, we can skip modeling them and create some global functions for
>> > sending messages to random ports, but that wouldn't be very impressive..
>>
>> What do you mean by modeling them?
>
> Compare with how HT (doesn't) works, or with PCI.

In what way? Something that is probe-able? And something that isn't?

>> What is an impressive implementation for sending messages to ports?
>> It's just another address space through index/data pairs.
>
> That's exactly what I disagree with. There is an architecture and I
> would expect coreboot to model it rather than dumping an array of
> magic number pairs into index/data.
>
> The coreboot devicetree doesn't model HT so well - it is treated as
> "another address space". I think it would be better to avoid
> repeating such a mistake?

What is it that you are suggesting/wanting devicetree to do what in
this case? I am failing to understand the mistake you are referring
to. Could you please provide explicit examples having c struct fields
represented in devicetree that model another address space?

-Aaron