[coreboot] Coding for free

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Wed Feb 19 20:40:13 CET 2014

Nitin Issac Joy wrote:
> I am Nitin Issac Joy, 2nd Year Computer Science Engineering Student from
> India, wanting to contribute to coreboot. I want more hand-on experience
> with ASM and interfacing which is the reason why I am doing this.
>
> I know more than basic ASM, well versed in C.

That's a good starting point, but you'll quickly have to learn many
x86 details.

> Can anyone of you guide me?

I think you'll find that everyone in the coreboot community is quite
busy, and that you will have to learn most things on your own.

Start out with building coreboot and running it in QEMU. That doesn't
require buying any hardware and can already let you work on many
different aspects of booting.

If you want to continue with the project you will eventually need to
work with hardware, which requires a suitable development environment
with some tools and a target system which is not your primary
machine.

//Peter