[coreboot] does coreboot support kvm & WPCE775x & other questions

David Hendricks dhendrix at google.com
Mon Jan 6 21:07:17 CET 2014

On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 9:55 PM, dhan.war <wardhan.v.1.0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi all
>
> i am using toshiba satellite c850d-m5010. the kvm is disabled by default
> in BIOS. it seems to me that many laptop manufacturers does not fully
> support kvm.
>
> my output of the superiotool :
> # superiotool
> superiotool r6637
> Found Nuvoton WPCE775x / NPCE781x (id=0x00, rev=0x01) at 0x2e
>
> i did a search on website & it points to me 2 links only [[a] & [b]].
> the link [a] is silent about BIOS & CB.
> the link [b] is silent about datasheets & comment.
>
> the output of superiotool -V also states that dump is available.
>
> there is also a request to add WPCE775x on mailing list [c] & there seems
> to no answer to the thread.
>
> my questions:
> [1] does coreboot support kvm ?

I think this is more a question for SeaBIOS (http://www.seabios.org/SeaBIOS)
?

[2] can i install coreboot on Nuvoton WPCE775x / NPCE781x ?

The question is whether or not you can install coreboot on the Toshiba
c850d-m5010. I see that it uses an AMD E-series APU -- That may actually be
supported to some extent in coreboot. However, there is a lot more work
that is needed to fully support a mainboard, and laptops can be difficult
to work with.

> [3] does the support for Nuvoton WPCE775x / NPCE781x is added in coreboot ?

Although this EC is not currently used in any platforms which coreboot
supports, IIRC it uses standard ACPI and PnP interfaces for most of its
functionality.

As Vladimir points out, the EC should be of marginal importance to coreboot.

> [4] what does the dump available mean in output of superiotool -V ?

It is simply a listing of register values.

> if you need any further information please let me know. please also
> provide appropriate commands if it involves any packages.
>
> thank you reading the message patiently. even though i am subscribed to
> mailing list, please always cc me.
>
> [a] http://www.coreboot.org/Superiotool
> [b] http://www.coreboot.org/Embedded_controller
> [c] http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2010-July/059274.html