[coreboot] Remove GENERATE_ACPI_TABLES

Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko phcoder at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 03:57:22 CET 2014

On 07.01.2014 00:12, mrnuke wrote:
> On Monday, January 06, 2014 07:52:20 PM Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
> wrote:
>> By now most boards and OS don't run correctly if ACPI tables are not
>> supplied. Ability by user to enable/disable their generation is just
>> increasing configuration matrix for no benefit. So I propose to hardwire
>> it to HAVE_ACPI_TABLES.
>
> You mean you haven't found a need for it in your recent use cases. I don't
> think this can be used to generalize for all boards, and is most certainly a
> naive proposal for ARM boards. So you end up depending this shit on ARCH_x86,
> then ARM adds ACPI, then it again makes sense to HAVE_ACPI_TABLES, but only
> for ARM, so now we make it depend on ARCH_ARM, and we get a clusterfuck by the
> end of the day.
> At the end of it all, you are proposing to take away a freedom that has hurt
> no-one. -2. I can't see the justification.

You misunderstood. I don't propose to remove HAVE_ACPI_TABLES.
HAVE_ACPI_TABLES remains per-board characteristic.
The only thing I remove is GENERATE_ACPI_TABLES which is user-visible
option.
This way presence of ACPI-tables is determined by board porter based on
the need and availability of ACPI tables
>> I feel like in current config there are too many options of kind "Do you
>> want a working system? (y/n)" and they should be hardwired to right
>> answer rather than adding configuration.
>>
> Flashing coreboot is a minefield of these questions: "Do you want to brick your
> system? (ok/cancel)". You can't make it fool proof, and nanny-state-ing users
> is not the solution. Provide sane defaults.

Right now we're at opposite end when you almost have to use genetic
algorithm to find which configuration works.