[coreboot] Chromium Upstreaming / Introduction

Kyösti Mälkki kyosti.malkki at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 21:00:25 CEST 2014

On 07/29/2014 09:20 PM, David Hendricks wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 9:55 AM, Isaac <isaac.christensen at se-eng.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am currently working on helping the Chromium team get their coreboot
>> patches upstreamed so I thought I should introduce myself to the community.
>> My name is Isaac Christensen and I've been working for Sage Electronic
>> Engineering since October. These will be my first pushes up to
>> coreboot.org
>> so if you have any comments on process or workflow feel free to let me know
>> as I'm still learning.
>>

> Great! We'll look forward to working with you on this.
>
> It might be beneficial to drop by #coreboot on irc.freenode.net to answer
> questions / feedback about patches in real-time.

Excellent. A couple questions though:

Do you plan to upstream all Chromebook coreboot and libpayload branches
from Chromium git, or just the individual patches Sage finds useful and
necessary for the boards You currently work on?

Do we expect the original authors to review the rebased, possibly
modified work, or is the plan these patches just get rubberstamped as +2
by a 3rd party once they build cleanly?

I see some of you first patches had a couple commits from Chromium tree
squashed into one. Why was the approach changed from how eg. Aaron and
Stefan handled the process? This has the unpleasant effect that commit
ownership (and eg. git blame) will no longer reflect the actual author
of change and also git log --oneline no longer serves as a datapoint in
attempt to compare which changes from Chromium branches have been
upstreamed or not.

Did you develop some nice method to keep track of which branches from
Chromium we can consider as completely upstreamed?

Do you have the facilities to do regular board-status script runs for
recent Chromebooks?

Kyösti