[coreboot] [announce] coreboot for the 21st century

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 07:05:49 CET 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 4:50 PM, David Hubbard
<david.c.hubbard+coreboot at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been thinking about it all day and it seems Vladimir is pretty much
> spot on, "The proposition of gatekeepers would essentially kill community
> effort."

There's just something I'm clearly not understanding here.

For the first year or so of linuxbios, I was the gatekeeper. Nobody
but me could push into the repo. We had lots of involvement.

For many open source projects I've been contributing to, there's
always a set of gatekeepers, and there's tons of community
involvement.
E.G., Go has a restricted set of people who can let a patch go into
the upstream, and there is no shortage of people contributing.
When I worked on FreeBSD, I was never one of the people who could push
a patch into the repo, but my changes were accepted. It never bothered
me much; those were the rules and I thought they made sense.

So what is the issue again? I'm trying to understand. Is it the
limited number? Is it the existence of gatekeepers at all?

ron