[coreboot] Changes to the coreboot Project Structure

Stefan Reinauer stefan.reinauer at coreboot.org
Tue Mar 25 02:28:00 CET 2014

* Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko <phcoder at gmail.com> [140321 04:31]:

> The proposition of gatekeepers would essentially kill community effort.
> Even in current infrastructure reviewing is a major slowdown. With small
> number of gatekeepers there wouldn't be any significant contributions as
> the gatekeepers wouldn't be able to review them in reasonable time,
> which will, in turn discourage contributions. You may as well just stop
> accepting community contributions right now: it turns out to be the same
> thing, just a little bit quicker.

This is absolute nonsense, Vladimir.

> You cannot treat community as some kind of corporate entity.

Nobody tries to do that.

> >>   Peter Stuge, Kyösti Mälkki, N.N. (non-commercial part of the
> >>   coreboot community)
> Sounds like a joke. While Peter is competent, he's also very busy. I'd
> expect his review thoughtput of perhaps a patch a week.
> You can't realistically put such burden on few people.
> If you want a corporate version of coreboot, I think you have to use a
> workflow similar to Fedora vs Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Your mere idea that there is some sort of corporate conspiracy acting
against the interest of the community from which you automatically
exclude anybody working on open source software for a day job is flawed.

> The changes you proposed would effectively make coreboot into corporate
> project. I'd expect a community fork to emerge quickly, outside of this
> new limiting infrastructure and I'll be surely moving to community fork.

Please note that the committers don't have to be the ones to do the code
reviews.

If you feel like you want to work on a fork of coreboot, you are most
welcome to do so. Many projects have forked over time, and some forks
have died off, or taken over the role of the main project. Good luck.
If this helps you get over your negative attitude you are spreading
here, I fully support it.

> Fork is better. With fork we don't have to deal with the same people
> who pushed the community out in the first place.

Vladimir, this has nothing to do with anybody pushing anybody out. Your
behavior here is your personal choice. It's fine, but don't blame it one
anybody else but yourself.

You think I am hurting this project? Do your own. The grass is always
greener on the other side, and you can do what you want over there.

Stefan