[coreboot] libpayload for ARM with sprinklings of GPL and coreboot code sharing

Stefan Reinauer stefan.reinauer at coreboot.org
Tue Mar 25 05:36:51 CET 2014

* Patrick Georgi <patrick at georgi-clan.de> [140321 18:38]:
> Am Donnerstag, den 20.03.2014, 17:57 -0500 schrieb mrnuke:
> >  * Share these drivers between coreboot and libpayload.
> Make them BSD-l, like cbfs-core.
>
> >  * libpayload core remains BSD.
> "with strings attached" - I'd like to avoid that.

Nice pun. It's actually the string functions that are GPLed in the ARM
port right now. D'uh.

> If you need SoC drivers, the *BSDs have their share of drivers, too.
> Typically of a better quality than the Linux ones (but less battle
> tested).

Is there any single BSD licensed payload out there? That's using
libpayload? The work around of stuffing drivers into depthcharge is
really, really unfortunate because it causes unnecessary duplication

Stefan